Our first CanSat, ZACan -1 was designed and built to coincide with a Technology Exhibition by the University of the North, and was launched in the Roodewal FAR76 airspace (Limpopo Province) on 6 November 1999.
As of our second CanSat Project, we started using the designation ZACanSat-xx to denote our CanSat builds.
|ZACanSat - 15||AUTONOMOUS CONTROL (experimental)||2013: ACTIVE|
|ZACanSat - 14||ADDED GROUND SURVEYLANCE||2013: ACTIVE|
|ZACanSat - 13||ADDED COMEBACK FEATURES (experimental)||2012/2013: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 12||ADDED SENSORS (IR, SONAR, IMAGING)||2011/2012: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 11||ADDED LANDING -SIMULATION / UAV DEPLOYMENT||2010/2011: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 10||NEW MICROCONTROLLER: ARDUINO||2009/2010: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 9||ADDED SENSORS / COMPLETE CODE REVISION||2008/2009: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 8||NEW TELEMETRY MODULES||2007/2008: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 7||FLIGHT CONTROL SOFTWARE INTERFACE||2006/2007: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 6||ADDED SENSORS (RADIATION, TILT, FLEX)||2005/2006: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 5||NEW MICROCONTROLLER: 32Bit PicMicro||2004/2005: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 4||ADDED BI-DIRECTIONAL TELEMETRY / CONTROL||2003/2004: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 3||NEW MICROCONTROLLER CODE||2002/2003: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 2||ADDED SENSORS (HUMIDITY, CO2)||2001/2002: CLOSED|
|ZACanSat - 1||ADDED SENSORS (GYROSCOPE, MAGNETOMETER)||2000/2001: CLOSED|
|ZACan -1||MORSE CODE SEQUENCER + FM TRANSMISSION||1999/2002: CLOSED|
- We have over 14 years experience in building CanSats, with our first CanSat project completed in 1999!
- We have launched a new CanSat project every year and have supplied over a 100 Arduino-based CanSats to customers
- We have sucessfuly completed deployments using high Altitude Balloons, High Power Rockets and Radio Controlled Aircraft.
- In 2011, we demonstrated with ZACanSAT-11, how a CanSat can be "precision deployed" from a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle)- probably the first UAV deployment world-wide.
Do we make money?
- We have no official sponsor(s), and fund all our projects ourselves, and No we do not earn any money spending hours writing/testing software code..
- Complete construction and build Information of our Projects have been made available FREE of charge, with countless individuals and students all over the world requesting information from us each year.
- The income generated from the sale of our CanSat kits barely cover the cost of components and shipping
Do we compete in Competitions?
- No, we do not participate in CanSat competitions, simply because there has never been a South African CanSat competition (with the exception of the internal competitions held by UCT- Cape Town since 2011)
- Since we are not directly affiliated with any educational institution, and provide CanSat kits on a commercial basis, our participation would be unfair.